Skip to content ↓

High School For Girls

Believe, Achieve, Thrive

History of the School

1861 

Mrs Goodricke started an “Establishment for board and education” of young ladies at Suffolk House.

1864  

Suffolk House was still in use as a school, now run by Mrs Leo.  There had been several other owners.

1882    

Mynd House in Barton Street was rented, adapted and refurbished.  Miss Hickey was appointed on 1st May 1883 to the post of Headmistress of the new Girls’ Lower School.

1895 

In July, Miss Hickey and staff left.

In August, Miss A Barwell became Headmistress.

Miss Hickey

1903   

On 3rd March, the Girls’ Lower School was re-named the Girls’ Endowed School.

1904  

The Girls’ Endowed School moved from Mynd House to Bearland House, Longsmith Street.

The Girls’ Endowed School was re-named Gloucester Girls’ High School.  It became a grant-aided school.

1906 

Governors established Gloucester United Schools.  (The Crypt, Sir Thomas Richs’, the Girls’ High School and the Municipal School for Science, Art and Technology)

1907 

On 18th October, a memorial stone was laid at Denmark Road.

Governors established Gloucester United Schools

1909 

On 14th January,  the new building of the Girls’ High School opened in Denmark Road.

1909 

In September, a kindergarten opened on site.

The Old Girls’ Association was founded.

The Old Girls’ Association was founded.

1919 

In August, Miss Barwell retired.

In September, Miss Carless was appointed Headmistress.

1920 

First issue of Gloucester High School Magazine.

1922 

In March, Miss Carless left.

In April, Miss Penson was appointed Headmistress.

1923  

Gloucester Girls’ High School Parents’ Association was founded.

1933 

The School’s 50th Jubilee.

1937 

In August, Miss Penson died.  Miss Green became Acting Headmistress.

1938 

In January, Dr White was appointed Headmistress.

1944    

The Butler Education Act (in force from April 1945).  Secondary education for all.

1945  

The school became a maintained grammar school, with three forms of entry.  Junior school was phased out.

1954    

In December, Dr White retired.

1955 

In January, Miss Jewsbury was appointed as Headmistress.

1972   

In December, Miss Jewsbury retired.

1973 

In January, Miss Castle was appointed Headmistress.

1974 

Re-organisation of Local Government.

The school came under Gloucestershire County Education Authority and became a Community School.

1982 

Miss Castle moved to become Headmistress of Cheltenham Ladies’ College.

1983  

Centenary Celebrations – Princess Anne visited the school.

Miss Miles was appointed Headmistress.

1992  

Miss Miles retired.

Mrs Bainbridge was appointed Headmistress.

The school moved to four forms of entry.  Modernisation of the curriculum.  Introduction of the Faculty structure.

2000  

Threat to closure of grammar schools.

2006   

In August, Mrs Bainbridge retired.

Mrs Sawicka was appointed as Headteacher in April 2006, but because of having to give a whole term’s notice in her current job could not take up her headship until January 2007.  Between September – December 2006, Mr Willis was Acting Headteacher (Deputy Head under Mrs Bainbridge).

2007  

In January, Mrs Sawicka took up her post.

2009  

In September, introduction of the DEAL (Discover, Explore and Learn), the new bespoke Year 7 curriculum.

2009 

In January, the School celebrated 100 years on Denmark Road.

A Centenary Concert was held in Gloucester Cathedral.

Centenary Concert was held in Gloucester Cathedral

Centenary Concert was held in Gloucester Cathedral

2010   

In April, the School became a Foundation School.

2011  

In April, the School became an Academy and a charity.

2012 

Refurbishment of Food Technology room.

2013  

Students in Year 11, the first cohort through the school of students, who have been through the DEAL curriculum.

2014 

£1.8million received from the EFA for an English and Music Centre. Build delayed because of several archaeological digs.

Capital Fundraising committee established.

Refurbishment of Art studio and creation of bespoke Sixth Form Art Studio.

2015 

Former Heads, Parents, Governors and Staff have pledged £430,000 for extension to dining room and new Drama studio over 5 years.

The new Performing Arts Block was completed in October and officially opened on Friday, 20th November 2015.

Redesign of new Art Textiles facilities.

New Psychology, Government and Politics and Sociology rooms, predominantly for Sixth Form teaching.